Area attractions

what will you see around Syracuse


Between the mountains of Peristeri (2285m.) and Tzoumerki (2429m.) at an altitude of 1200m., wedged on the edge of the cliff, above the ravine of Kalarritikos, the Kalarrites have been located since ancient times already on the axis that unites Thessaly with Epirus and the Ionian. The archaeological findings testify that, since the Bronze Age, inhabitants were found in this area. In the archaeological site of Avatos, NE of Kalarriton, remains of the wall of an ancient small town have been found. It is suspected that this is the ancient city of Athamania Akantha/os.

The village is famous for its pastures. Nomadic animal husbandry still flourishes here. Silversmiths and the art of iconography once flourished here. The Kalarrytians had a rich professional activity such as silversmiths, goldsmiths, goldsmiths, gold embroiderers, merchants, embroiderers, hagiographers, artisans, tailors, livestock breeders, kyratzis and agagiates. and secular artefacts of the 18th century and many of their elaborate creations survive in many European countries. Kalarrites and Sirrako have been characterized since 1978 by the Ministry of Spatial Planning and Environment as Preserved Traditional Settlements.

Monastery of Theotokos of Kipina

Sacred and imposing space with wild beauty, elaborate construction. The impressive monastery with its idiosyncratic architecture is located near the Kipina settlement, on the Kipina-Kalarryton road. It is built almost in the middle of a huge rock on the NE side of the wild gorge of the Kalarritikos river, and the foundation on top of vertical rocks is admirable. The monastery is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, but it celebrates the Friday of Diakainisimo, the feast of the Life-giving Spring. Access to the monastery is via a small path, carved into the rock, and continues with a small hanging wooden bridge, which leads to the monastery’s outbuildings. During the Turkish rule, the wooden bridge was movable and the monks raised it with a lever, so that the monastery became inaccessible to would-be raiders, as a gap of 4 meters was created in the cliff when it was raised. 1931) and belongs to the Holy Metropolis of Ioannina. It was relatively recently renovated and can be visited by pilgrims. If the priest Lambros is not there, you can ask for the keys to visit the monastery from the cafe in the Kipina neighborhood (phone: 26590 61186).

Learn more

Plaka Bridge

Built in 1866, it was considered the largest single-arch bridge in the Balkans, with a span of 40 meters, a height of 19 meters and a top opening of 3.2 meters. Its central arch collapsed on February 1, 2015, during a severe storm, and today procedures are underway to begin its reconstruction and restoration. At the place where the bridge of Plaka was built there was an old bridge which was destroyed in 1860. In 1863 it was rebuilt from scratch by the master Giorgi from Konitsa with the sponsorship of the businessman Yannis Loulis. This bridge was demolished almost on the day of its inauguration. In 1866 it was rebuilt with the builder Konstantinos Bekas from Pramanta. The bridge collapsed on Sunday 01 February 2015 and efforts are being made by the Municipality of North Tzoumerka, the Region of Ioannina and the State to restore it

“Windhole” Cave

Three kilometers from Pramanta, west of Strogoula and at an altitude of 900 meters, the visitor to the area encounters the “Windhole” cave. Uniquely sculpted colored stalagmites and three ponds in shades of grey, brass and white, formed over the years, they compose a dreamlike environment of imaginary persons and architectural masterpieces. There operates the “Windhole Cave” coffee restaurant by Manolis Sendele, who also takes over the guided tour of the cave. Tour hours are daily from 9am to 8pm. Entrance costs 3 euros (tel. 26590 61516, 6958054441).

Learn more:

Holy Monastery of Vyliza

Monastery with a view. The Holy Monastery of Vyliza is located at an altitude of 1050 meters, built above the confluence of two tributaries of the Kalarritikos, between the villages of Kalarrites and Matsouki, in order to control the passes. Tradition places its foundation in the 11th century. However, the oldest written evidence of Vyliza is the icon of Saint John the Forerunner dated 1676. The current building is post-Byzantine. In the precincts of the monastery there is another church dedicated to John the Forerunner. This second church has been frescoed since 1737, by the hands of brothers Georgios and Stergios from the neighboring village of Kalarrites, and has a gilded wood-carved iconostasis with wonderful images. According to the English traveler William Martin Leake, in earlier years there was a Hellenistic city fortress there, the walls of which he visited when he traveled to Epirus (between 1804 and 1810). In the past, the Monastery was one of the most important monasteries of Epirus, it had a very rich library with a significant number of manuscripts and it was also very involved in the commons of the region. Today the Monastery is a shareholder of I.M. Kato Panagia Arta. The Monastery of Vyliza is dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary.

Kuiasa or Damiris Bridge

Stone-built, single-arched, semi-circular bridge in the valley of the Chrousia river. In the trunk of one leg of the bridge there is a smaller arch that lightens the construction (relief arch) and allows the water to pass quickly in case of a flood. It was built with the funding of wealthy residents and immigrants from Kalarrites, around 1800. The name Kuiassa means shady place , while the second name is from the sponsor Damiris, a merchant of Kalarrita.

Community News


Sirrako, is a historical noble village of Epirus. It is located 52 km. southeast of Ioannina, on Mount Peristeri, at an altitude of 1200m. …


Instructions and directions on how to get to Syracuse

What you can do in Syracuse and in nature during your stay

See the museums in the area of Syracuse


Instructions and directions on how to get to Syracuse

What you can do in Syracuse and in nature during your stay

See the museums in the area of Syracuse